RAM is a brand that is frequently used while discussing the greatest pickup vehicle. The 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine, which is their most potent engine, has a 400 horsepower and 1,000 lb-ft torque rating. How much oil is required to fuel this bad boy, though? Here are the results of our extensive research.
The 2010 or newer 6.7L Cummins engine requires roughly 12 quarts of oil to operate a 1,070-lb engine. It’s crucial to check your vehicle’s manual because older trucks can have somewhat less oil capacity.
How to Measure the Oil Capacity?
The oil capacity is a measurement of the maximum amount of engine oil that can be held in the engine’s crankcase at one time.
The 6.7 Cummins Oil Capacity is a measure of the oil capacity of the engine, which is measured in quarts and can be calculated by multiplying the engine displacement by 0.4 (6/10 quart).
Are you curious to know more about this powerful engine? Stay tuned as we cover important subjects including the best engine oil brands for the 6.7 Cummins, problems with the 6.7 Cummins, and vehicles that have this powerful engine. Let’s get started!
What is the 6.7 Cummins Oil Capacity?
- When you change the filter on a heavy-duty Dodge Ram model manufactured in 2010 or later, the oil capacity is 12 quarts.
- The capacity is only 10 quarts while the oil filter is not being changed.
- However, most DIY oil changers agree that 11 quarts are the maximum amount that can be added without overfilling the tank.
- Before 2010, there were several oil capacities for trucks with 6.7 Cummins engines.
6.7 Cummins Oil Capacity in Gallons
- Just over 3 gallons of oil are equal to 12 quarts of oil.
- The oil capacity for vehicles powered by 6.7 Cummins engines is just over
What Type Of Oil Does The 6.7 Cummins Take?
The 6.7 Cummins is a powerful truck engine that can take on a variety of different types of oils.
The 6.7 Cummins is a powerful truck engine that can take on a variety of different types of oils. You should consult your owner’s manual for the recommended type and viscosity, but in general, you should use diesel or diesel-based oils with this engine.
For two distinct driving circumstances, the manufacturer suggests using two different types of lubricants. The 15W-40 oil is strongly advised if you’ll be driving in temps above zero. However, if you drive in temperatures below zero, 5w-40 engine oil is recommended.
Note: 6.7 Cummins owners is throttle position sensor problems, but with the right solutions, optimal performance can be restored.
What’s the Difference between 15W-40 and 5W-40 Engine Oil?
Their viscosity would be the straightforward response to this. The number to the left of the letter “W” on the engine oil type indicates the engine oil’s viscosity when it is cold. The number to the left of the “W” also denotes the expansion of engine oil in hot circumstances.
Viscous fluids are heavy and clingy. Due to internal engine variations, every single engine will require a unique kind of engine oil. Mineral and/or synthetic base oils are used to create engine oils. Additionally, additives are added to engine oils to raise their quality and functionality.
Which Oil Brands Are Best For The 6.7 Cummins?
Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5W-40 Diesel Engine Oil
Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5W-40 Diesel Engine Oil is a high-performing, low-viscosity engine oil designed for use in diesel engines and other diesel applications.
This oil is formulated with Shell’s proprietary Synergic Technology to help provide outstanding performance and protection against wear, oxidation, and thermal breakdown. It also has a detergent package that helps remove sludge from the engine and protects against deposits from reoccurring.
- Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5W-40 Diesel Engine Oil can be used in engines that require API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4 and SF/CD.
- Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5W-40 Diesel Engine Oil has a Viscosity of 15 cSt @ 40°C (104°F).
- Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5W-40 Diesel Engine Oil has an ILSAC GF5 rating.
- Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5W-40 Diesel Engine Oil has an SAE Viscosity Grade of 15w/40.
Shell Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend 15W-40 Diesel Engine Oil
Shell Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend 15W-40 Diesel Engine Oil is an advanced, high-performance, low ash, and low-sulfur diesel engine oil. It is designed to reduce wear and provide protection against thermal or mechanical stress for your diesel engine.
Shell Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend 15W-40 Diesel Engine Oil is a premium quality product with a new formula that includes the latest in additive technology. Shell Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend 15W-40 Diesel Engine Oil provides good fuel economy and excellent protection against wear and corrosion for all diesel engines. It also has a low tendency to foam and form sludge deposits.
Shell Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend 15W-40 Diesel Engine Oil is available in 1-gallon containers that are easy to pour, store, and handle.
Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil
Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil is an advanced engine oil that provides exceptional protection for diesel engines. It is formulated with a proprietary additive package that helps to protect against wear and reduce the possibility of deposits forming in the engine. This high-performance product also helps to keep your engine clean and running smoothly.
The Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil meets or exceeds all manufacturer specifications for API CI-4 Plus, CJ-4, CI-4, CI-4 Plus, and ACEA E7/E6/E5.
How Frequently Should a Cummins Engine Replace Its Oil?
Your Cummins engine’s oil needs to be changed after every 6 months or 15,000 miles, whichever comes first.
You might need to replace your oil more frequently if you drive a lot in stop-and-go traffic or on short journeys. For more detailed guidance, refer to your
What Are the Warning Signs of Low Oil Pressure?
There are a few warning signs that can indicate low oil pressure in your vehicle. These include:
- Dashboard illumination
- A low reading on the oil pressure gauge.
- Unusual noises coming from an engine
- An unpleasant-sounding engine
It’s crucial to get your car checked out by a trained technician as soon as you see any of these warning symptoms. Failure to do so might cause engine damage, which can be costly to repair.
What Advantages Come With Using Synthetic Oil?
Synthetic oils offer a number of benefits over traditional mineral oils. These benefits include:
- Superior functionality at high temperatures
- Increased fuel efficiency
- Less wear on the engine
- Increased oil life decreased emissions
Although synthetic lubricants are more expensive than conventional oils, they perform better and last longer, therefore they are worth the extra money.
Consult a skilled technician if you’re unclear about the sort of oil to use in your car. They can assist you in selecting the proper oil for your particular vehicle and driving requirements.
How to Change Oil on a 6.7 Cummins?
Even though you shouldn’t try to change the oil on a 6.7 Cummins if this is your first time doing it, there are certain measures you may take to complete the task.
And here are the basic steps to follow:
- Put the drain stopper on your WirthCo drain pan underneath the oil pan.
- To allow the old oil to flow out of the engine, remove the drain stopper.
- To make it simpler for the oil to drain out, loosen the oil fill lid.
- Remove the drain plug, clean it, and then firmly reconnect it once the oil stops pouring (30–45 minutes).
- Remove the old oil filter from the passenger side tire well and throw it away. A screw will be used to secure the filter.
- Install the new oil filter firmly by hand-tightening the screw.
- Pour the fresh oil inside using the funnel.
- Start the engine and let it run for a few minutes to check the level, then check the level with the dipstick.
You might want to see this:
- Engine Oil Capacity for All Vehicles in United States
- 7 Oil Filter Brands to Avoid – Find Out
- Overdue Oil Change Symptoms – What Are They? How Do I Know If My Car Needs an Oil Change?
- High Mileage Oil Additive
- Best Oil for High Mileage Cars That Burn Oil
- Is Synthetic Oil Better for High Mileage Cars
With an oil change, the more current 6.7 Cummins engines require 12 gallons of 5W-40 oil. To enhance the performance of the motor oil, it is advised that you change the oil filter at the same time as the oil.
It is advised to use synthetic oils in these engines since they provide advantages including better performance, longer life, and less engine wear. Consult a knowledgeable expert who can advise you on the best oil to use for your particular car if you’re unclear about what to use.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What Horsepower Can a 6.7 Cummins Produce?
From 350 to 600 horsepower, the 6.7 Cummins engine is offered in a range of horsepower ratings. The type and year of your vehicle will determine the precise horsepower rating of your engine.
What’s the Weight of a 6.7 Cummins?
The 6.7 Cummins engine is around 1,120 pounds in weight. Depending on the particular model and year of your truck, this weight may change.
How Much Weight Can a 6.7 Cummins Tow?
The precise type and year of your truck determine the 6.7 Cummins engine’s towing capability. The 6.7 Cummins is capable of towing between 12,000 and 19,000 pounds.
A Cummins engine can run without oil?
No, a Cummins engine needs oil to function. For your engine to function properly, oil is necessary. It lessens the likelihood of excessive wear by lubricating the moving components.
Your engine will soon overheat and sustain significant damage without oil. If you suspect that your engine needs extra oil, check the level right away and add more as necessary. If your car’s oil level is low, don’t drive.
How Long Is the Life of a 6.7 Cummins Engine?
An engine from Cummins typically lasts 350,000 kilometers. Some engines have been known to last even longer with the right care and upkeep. Your engine will look after you if you take proper care of it.
Engines made by Cummins are renowned for their dependability and longevity. Your engine should last a long time if you use high-quality parts and adhere to the suggested service intervals.