Mercedes Check Engine Light Reset without Scanner
We’ll show you a Mercedes check engine light reset both with and without a scanner in this article. But first, double-check that the check engine light only needs to be reset and is no longer attempting to convey a problem. The check engine light on your Mercedes-Benz is most likely due to one of the following problems:
- Loosened or damaged fuel cap
- Failing oxygen (O2) sensor
- Clogged or damaged catalytic converter
- Malfunctioning Mass Air Flow Sensor
- Expired or damaged spark plugs
If you try to reset the light when there’s a more serious underlying problem, it will come back on immediately.
In this case, you need to go to your nearby Mercedes service center, they have more advanced and proper tools to diagnose and resolve it more professionally.
There are two methods you can reset your Mercedes check engine light.
How to Reset Mercedes Check Engine Light with Scanner?
The first way to reset a check engine light on your Benz is with a scanner. If you have one, simply plug it in, read the related codes, and press “clear” or “reset.” So long as the code issue has been resolved, it should go off.
How to Reset Mercedes Check Engine Light without Scanner?
Although most Norwalk drivers lack an OBD II diagnostic scanner, the check engine light may be reset by unplugging the negative battery wire. Here’s how to securely turn off your check engine light:
- Wear safety glasses and gloves.
- Turn off the ignition, and open the hood.
- Locate the battery and find the negative terminal. It is usually black and/or marked with a minus (-) sign.
- Remove the cable from the terminal using a wrench
- Hold the negative cable to the side for 30-60 seconds.
- Be careful not to let the cables touch. This creates sparks.
- If you have a friend nearby, have them engage the vehicle horn to deplete excess power from the vehicle.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable
- When you restart your vehicle, the check engine light should not illuminate.
Keep in mind that disconnecting the battery may also cause certain infotainment systems to reset at the same time. When in doubt, take the vehicle to a nearby service center and let us take care of everything.
How To Reset Check Engine Light Without Disconnecting Battery?
OBD2 Diagnostic App or Car Sensor System Check (Android and IOS)